Getting quality sleep can boost your energy, concentration, mood, and overall physical health. But for all that to happen, one has to sleep on the right mattress, so there is a strong case for choosing the best mattress based on your need and preferences. Picking the right mattress is an individualized decision as there is no single solution, a good mattress for one may not be the right one for the other. While there is no right or wrong when it comes to a matter of comfort, there are a few things to know when buying a mattress so that you make a perfect choice. Here is a mattress buying guide to help you make the right decisions:
Types of Mattress
Let’s begin the mattress guide by looking at the types of mattresses. Though there are many types available in the market, some of the popular choices are as below:
- Coir mattress: These mattresses are best for those who are on a tight budget as they are highly economical. Apart from that, it does offer support and comfort. It offers good breathability but is not very durable.
- Spring mattress: This can further be classified into two types; Bonnel and spring. These types are slightly better than the coir mattress in terms of support and comfort. It can be a choice if you are looking for a bed that offers average support, comfort, and durability.
- Foam mattresses: These types of mattresses provide average comfort and support but provide poor breathability. For the support and comfort it provides, the overall cost is high.
- Natural latex mattress: It offers good back support but average comfort. The mattress’s durability depends on the make and is also expensive compared to other choices. It is ideal for those who are allergic to chemicals.
- Memory foam mattress: It is a type of mattress that is the most popular choice as it offers great comfort and support. It comes at affordable pricing and is quite durable. Those who sleep hot should look to purchase mattresses that come with cooling technology.
When it comes to mattress types, there is not much upgrade from the mattress buying guide 2021. However, to summarise:
- Choose a memory foam mattress for good back support and comfort while affordable.
- Opt for natural latex if you want a mattress made from natural materials. It offers average support and comfort, but it is expensive.
- A pocket spring mattress is a choice if you want something fancy-looking but provides average support and comfort. Choose Bonnel spring if you want an economical option.
- Coir mattress for a complete economic choice.
So, if you want a mattress that lasts for at least 7 to 8 years without compromising on sleep quality, comfort, and support, the bed buying guide recommends a memory foam mattress as the best choice.
The firmness levels are categorised as a firm, medium-firm, medium, and soft. The popular choice is medium-firm to medium as this suits most of the needs of the people. However, when you want to pick the firmness level, consider the body type and sleeping position and then decide instead of simply going by the popularity. The firmness level is marked on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the firmest and 1 the softest. These are levels only to enable you to compare the firmness levels, and one should not be stuck with specific numbers.
- Side sleepers: People who sleep on their sides should choose soft to medium firmness as it helps to maintain spine alignment. A firm mattress puts pressure on the shoulders and hips and causes pain.
- Stomach sleepers: Choose a firm mattress as it prevents sinking and disturbs the back’s natural curvature.
- Back sleepers: Medium firm is the ideal choice as it is neither too soft nor too hard and helps maintain proper alignment.
- Combination sleepers: Medium firmness is the recommended choice as it helps support various positions at night.
- Smaller framed people should opt for a softer mattress to prevent pressure on the joints. If you sleep on a firm mattress, due to lack of pressure on the bed, the body won’t sink, and hence there is no alleviation of pressure.
- Heavy sleepers should choose a firmer mattress so that the body weight does not cause it to sink and spoil the spinal alignment leading to pains and aches.
So while choosing firmness, one of the best mattress buying tips is to consider your sleeping position and the body type. For instance, if you are a lightweight sleeper who lies on the stomach, choose medium firmness, which is neither too firm nor soft.
Do you have Back Pain?
Do you suffer from chronic back pain or have orthopaedic issues, then do not choose an ordinary mattress; instead, go for an orthopedic mattress. These are specially designed for people with back pain and other issues to offer more support and comfort. Studies have shown that an ortho mattress can alleviate discomfort, reduce stiffness and pain and increase sleep quality.
Apart from the above, other factors to check include a mattress quality guide, motion isolation so that there are no partner sleep disturbances, cooling technology, edge support, mattress depth, height, and brand. Suppose you are shopping online check the warranty, trial period, and return policy to avoid complications if you don’t find the mattress comfortable.